At a recent meeting of the committee chairs discussing the potential reorganization of the Sun Prairie Bicycling Advocacy Group (SPBAG), agreement was made to revise the operational procedures of the group.
What this means to you:
- Less meetings taking people away from their family and personal time;
- Improved focus on fewer projects;
- Easier access to existing project details; and
- Continued support for cycling in Sun Prairie.
With respect to each of the sub-committees of the group, it was determined that the committees will be dissolved in favor of project based organization of efforts. The only remaining committee will be the Steering Committee, which will be comprised of the current committee chairs, in addition to anybody else with a desire to contribute to the progress of the group as a whole. Current projects handled by the group will be managed by those currently working on the same, with a more public facing project management system to be implemented to facilitate the involvement of individuals not necessarily able to make the monthly meetings. This will allow members to contribute when, and where, they can, while also facilitate consolidation of efforts of more active members of the group on projects not previously within the scope of the committees they’ve been able to be involved in.
Additionally, the current scope of projects managed by SPBAG will be reduced to those projects currently seeing forward progress, and those that are necessary for administration of the group. The current projects seeing active involvement are:
- Establishment of 501(3)(c) non-profit status for the group;
- Development of a single track mountain bike trail system at Sheehan Park;
- Preparation and submission of an application for Bicycle Friendly Community Status for Sun Prairie, WI;
- Redesign of the SPBAG website (sunprairiemoves.org) as a destination for information regarding the group and other cycling related material for those not necessarily involved in the group;
- Bike valet / corrals in Sun Prairie in 2015 and beyond; and
- Maximize May – an effort to springboard advocacy efforts by SPBAG in Sun Prairie starting in May of 2015.
Other projects were discussed, which will be pursued on a more individual basis by those who wish to see them through. These secondary projects will be proposed to the steering committee of active members at a time when more active involvement will facilitate their progress, and will be subject to a vote of the active members at the time as to whether sufficient resources will be available from within the group.
Further, the meeting schedule for the group as a whole will be revised. In view of the dissolution of the sub-committees, there will be a Steering Committee meeting held at about a six to eight week interval. A more public facing general meeting will be organized on about a bi-yearly basis to showcase group efforts and help to continue garnering public support for the group. Meetings to facilitate movement of the projects being worked on as a group will be held on an as-needed basis.